Embracing the chillier months as an advantageous time to sell your home might seem counterintuitive, but don’t underestimate the unique opportunities that come with showcasing your property during winter. While many homeowners tend to shy away from selling this time of the year, savvy sellers know that with the right strategy, you can get top dollar for your property and reap the benefits of the seasonal change. Here are a few of the best reasons to sell right now:
1. Interest rates are still low. Rates are currently around 5.875% to 6.25%, which is well below the historical average.
2. Homes are still selling every day. Last winter, 1,826 homes were sold in the Milwaukee area, so there are still plenty of opportunities out there.
3. We sold 45 homes last winter. We have tons of experience selling this time of year.
4. Buyers in winter are more serious. You won’t have to deal with as many window shoppers this time of year.
5. Buyers have more time to look than in the summer. Since the market isn’t as fast-paced, you can take your time.
6. Fewer homes on the market means more money for sellers. With less competition to deal with, you can have a great position at the negotiating table.
7. Fewer buyers means less demand. You can take advantage of this by negotiating favorable terms with your seller.
8. People moving for jobs need to buy now. If someone moved for a job, they can’t wait until spring to buy. Take advantage of this opportunity now.
9. We can negotiate a delayed closing. This means you’ll have plenty of time to move out of your house. You can even wait until spring or early summer!
10. By selling now, you can become a stronger buyer in the spring. This can net you more money in the long run.
If you’ve been convinced to sell, we can help. To help you maximize your home sale price during the colder months, here are three expert tips you can follow:
1. Enhance curb appeal despite the season. First impressions matter, and the exterior of your home sets the tone for a buyer’s perception. To make your home stand out, consider adding some winter-friendly decorations, like tasteful outdoor lighting or a seasonal wreath on the front door. Additionally, keep the yard tidy and eye-catching by removing fallen leaves or debris, clearing pathways and driveways of snow and ice, and ensuring that exterior lights are in working order.
2. Create a warm and cozy interior atmosphere. Combat the cold weather by creating a warm and inviting ambiance inside your home. You can make the space feel cozy by using soft, textured fabrics like throws and cushions and staging the fireplace with logs or candles to evoke a sense of comfort. Also, ensure that the heating system is in good working condition to keep the interior comfortably warm during showings.
3. Price competitively and highlight winter advantages. Pricing your home appropriately for the winter market is key to attracting buyers. Analyze comparable properties in your area and work with a real estate agent to set a competitive price. Furthermore, by highlighting the advantages of selling in the colder months, such as lower competition or motivated buyers looking to settle before the new year, you can emphasize the practicality and desirability of purchasing your home during this time of year.
Utilize these expert tips to make your home stand out in the winter market and attract motivated buyers looking for their dream home, regardless of the season. If you need more tips on how you can have a successful sale during winter, call or email me. I’m always happy to help.