If you’re selling your home and you have pets, follow these tips to appeal to more buyers.
I thought I’d take some time today to talk a little bit about selling a home with pets. I’ve got five steps that will help you prepare your home for sale while your pets are living there, too. Whether you have a cat, dog, bird, or any other animal, follow these tips:
1. Get the pet(s) out of the home before showings. Whether buyers love or hate your pet, they are going to be a distraction during the showing. The best thing to do is have a doggy daycare, a family member, friend, or neighbor watch the pet while there is a showing going on. If you have no other option but to keep them in the house, make sure they are put in a kennel.
2. Hide evidence of pets. This includes food and water bowls, leashes, and toys. Eliminate any pictures of your pets and other signs that suggest you have them.
3. Clean up any pet mess. Be conscious of their hair, stains, and any other damage they may have caused in your house.
4. Remove any odors. Ask your agent or someone who doesn’t come to your house regularly if they notice any pet odors. If they do, fix it. Odors can linger in places like the carpet, a bed, or furniture. Clear those odors out with fresh air as opposed to air freshener.
5. Prepare your yard. This could be one of the best selling features in your house, so you want to make sure all waste is picked up and repair any damage to grass.
If you want to sell your home and you have a pet, it’s much easier if you follow these steps. If you have any questions for us, give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.